A Short History of Albert Edward Lodge, No 59
From Freemasonry Victoria’s Web Site
On 20 August 1868 the Albert Edward Lodge No. 1291 of the English Constitution, was consecrated with the Installation of Brother William Downing as the founding Master, who was also appointed to the newly created position of clerk and rate-collector for the Alexandra Roads District in the same year.
Anecdotally meetings were initially held in the "Corner Hotel", on the corner of Grant and Downey Streets. The Alexandra Hotel, at one time the Freemasons, was a building which was rebuilt several times after several accidents. The current owners have been the McNair family since 1923, all prominent members of the Craft.
On 30 March 1889 Albert Edward was removed from the English Constitution to join the newly established United Constitution of Victoria, as number 59, under the watchful leadership of brother Frederick Wheeler (J.P.) for two years, the towns' first chemist and dentist.
In 1913 land was purchased from Mr W. Fenton, and a new building was built on the corner of Nihil and Webster Streets, the current location, the consecration and later installation of Brother Creighton as Worshipful Master was a celebratory affair with an annual installation picnic excursion being held to the grand extent of "Tumbling Waters", a location beyond Thornton on the Rubicon River. Photos of the 1913 excursion are on display in the foyer. The Fenton family were the first publicans in Alexandra. In November 1957 a sister lodge was consecrated in Eildon, number 800, coinciding with the construction of the Big Eildon Dam. Eildon Lodge met regularly until 6 July 2001, owing to dwindling membership and their advancing age, members voted to merge with Albert Edward, and their warrant was retired to Grand Lodge. Noted members of Eildon were Brothers E.A. Patrick and G.W. Orchard, who gained sixty and sixty-five year jewels in 2000.
You can see their building by clicking here.