Masonic Buildings - Walhalla Lodge No 69 and its building
Devotion held its April meeting under dispensation at Walhalla on Saturday 28 April 2012.
Walhalla Lodge meets on the 2nd Saturday at 7:30 in a beautiful historic lodge room. The lodge was founded in June 1877 and is well worth a visit.
The Worshipful Master of Walhalla Lodge accompanied by other members, visited our meeting. They were excited at the prospect of visiting another lodge working in their lodge room. It is not unusual for a lodge to visit Walhalla, but normally any work done is undertaken using Walhalla’s warrant with visitors taking over chairs for their own candidate. According to Walhalla members, Lodge Devotion tyling under its own warrant was only the second lodge to do so at Walhalla since the 1970’s. We were also privileged to be joined by an Entered Apprentice from Walhalla at his first visit to another lodge. I hope he and other visiting Walhalla members had a great night!
The Walhalla Lodge Room.
The Walhalla Masonic Lodge Building was built in 1866 and was the home of the Wesleyan Chapel until 1877 when it was purchased by Freemasons. Founded in 1877, Walhalla's Masonic lodge No 69 is an old and distinguished Lodge. The Walhalla Lodge room is located right above the band rotunda opposite the Star Hotel. Older members using walking sticks climb the stairs with steadfastness - a very masonic thing to do. They make city masons complaining about no lifts in buildings look weak! The Lodge meets on the 2nd Saturday at 7:30, but if attending over the coming months – check with the secretary - the main bridge from the town to the lodge room is currently closed and the lodge may be meeting elsewhere.
It is great to see such an important part of our masonic history preserved and being used by lodges.
It is said that over 120 masons have been squeezed into this area for the Installation of a Master.
Walhalla Lodge Room - Worshipful Master and the East.