Open Houses Melbourne 2019 - Masonic Connections

Open Houses Melbourne is a wonderful event. We are not opening our Masonic Building this year - but I have just spotted two buildings with strong Masonic Connections which are open - including Ivalda which is an operational Masonic Centre - well done Brothers !

Ivalda Masonic Centre

Architect: B. Dunstan Reynolds Architects 1923

One of Victoria's longest-running Freemason Lodges is opening its doors to the public. Built in 1924 as a central grand temple for three Lodges – Ivanhoe, Darebin and Alphington – Ivalda is neo-Greek in style, an aesthetic commonly adopted by Masonic Orders.

On 5th April 1923 representatives of the Ivanhoe, Darebin and Alphington Lodges met and discussed advisability of building a central Temple in the Heidelberg district. The name “Ivalda” was derived by taking the first two letters of the names of the Lodges. Designed by architect B Dunstan Reynolds and built by W.H.J. Bailey, the building is in symbolic Masonic style and is listed by the Heritage Council of Victoria.

The main Lodge room upstairs has a black and white linoleum tiled floor and the timber used for the magnificent canopy and three symbolic chairs was cut from a large Tasmanian Blackwood. There is a large copper dome, highly symbolic decorative windows, and light that changes colour depending on the type of Lodge that is meeting. Today the building is used by 25 different Lodge groups and two Women’s Quilting Groups.

Detail and more;
https://www.openhousemelbourne.org/melbourne/buildings/ivalda-masonic-centre/

Melbourne Camera Club

Architect: R.Adamson & W.McKean, 1876


You can read our earlier article on this building here

Built in 1876, the heritage-listed neo-classical Corinthian-style building was designed by local architects Robert Adamson and William McKean. Once home to the Freemasons' Yarra Yarra Lodge, the building has been restored to its original Victorian-era splendour, with much of its masonic symbolism intact.

Occupied by the Freemasons until 1881, the building was subsequently used as a furniture warehouse and by the Try Boy Society during the 1890s. The building was re-acquired by the Freemasons in 1910 when the Yarra Yarra and Emerald Hill (now South Melbourne) lodges merged, remaining occupied until the mid 1920s. After falling into disrepair, the building was purchased by the Melbourne Camera Club in 1979, who restored and repurposed the space into club rooms and exhibition space.

Carefully restored to the specifications of Heritage Victoria, the interior features an impressive auditorium accessed via a winding staircase. Another notable feature is the coat-of-arms above the Dorcas Street entrance.

Detail and more;
https://www.openhousemelbourne.org/melbourne/buildings/the-melbourne-camera-club-2/

Comments